The ultimate aim of the Degree in Primary Education is to ensure students gain the aptitudes to exercise the teaching profession at this level. To do so, the course has set the following goals:
- Enable graduates to teach at this level in a changing society and ensure they acquire the professional abilities necessary for education in heterogeneous educational contexts.
- Guarantee that graduates have the knowledge necessary to treat didactics from a specific, interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary perspective, both in the initial stage of training and throughout their professional lives.
- Train future graduates to generate the synergies that favour continuity between educational cycles and stages in schools and other socio-educational, family and community contexts.
- Encourage professional practices based on fundamental rights, equal opportunities between men and women, universal access for the disabled, values inherent to peaceful and democratic cultures, and on understanding culture and hard work as values.
- Promote professional abilities specially designed to the adaptation, demands and educational conditions of the rural world.
Competences BOE (Order ECI/3857/2007, of 27 December, which establishes the requirements for the verification of official university degrees that qualify for the exercise of the profession of teacher in Primary Education)
- Know the curricular areas of Primary Education, the interdisciplinary relationship between them, the evaluation criteria and the body of didactic knowledge concerning the respective teaching and learning procedures.
- Design, plan and evaluate teaching and learning processes, both individually and in collaboration with other teachers and school professionals.
- Effectively address language learning situations in multicultural and multilingual contexts. Encourage reading and critical commentary on texts from the diverse scientific and cultural fields found in the school curriculum.
- Design and regulate learning spaces in contexts characterised by diversity, accounting for the promotion of gender equality, equity and a respect for the human rights that underpin the values of education in citizenship.
- Promote positive interaction in the classroom and outside it, resolve discipline problems, and contribute to peaceful conflict resolution. Stimulate and value effort, perseverance and personal discipline in students.
- Know the organization of primary schools and the diversity of actions that comprise their operation. Perform tutoring and orientation functions with students and their families, attending to the unique educational needs of the students. Accept that teaching, as a practice, must be constantly refined and adapted to scientific, pedagogical and social changes over the course of one's life.
- Collaborate with the different sectors in the educational community and the social environment. Assume the educational dimension of the teaching profession and promote democratic education for active citizenship.
- Maintain a critical and independent relationship with respect to knowledge, values and public and private social institutions
- Value individual and collective responsibility for the achievement of a sustainable future.
- Reflect on classroom practices to innovate and improve teaching. Acquire habits and skills for autonomous and cooperative learning and promote this among students.
- Know and apply information and communication technologies in the classroom. Selectively distinguish the audiovisual information that contributes to learning, civic education and cultural richness.
- Understand the function, possibilities and limits of education in today's society and the core competencies that affect primary schools and their professionals.
- Know models of quality improvement with application to educational centres, promoting the continuity between the cycles and educational stages of the school environment and other socio-educational, family and community contexts, paying particular attention to the characteristics of the rural environment.
List of general competencies: teamwork, communication, problem solving, etc.
- Express yourself correctly both orally and in writing.
- Master a foreign language.
- Master information and communication technologies.
- Respect the fundamental rights of equality between men and women, promoting human rights and the values of a culture of peace and democracy.
- Communicate with the different educational agents effectively in the different educational scenarios: in the classroom, in the teaching team and with the educational community.
- Reflect, act and solve problematic situations in the educational field. Detect situations that require your own specific intervention or from other professionals. Know how to derive.
- Manage adequate information for the development of the proper functions of the profession. Know and understand the changing social reality in which educational work is developed. Recognize the changes in society and know how to evolve with them. Know how to change.
- Assume the commitment of personal and professional development with oneself and the community. Adapt learning proposals to the most significant cultural evolutions.